The Department of State has removed the Global Level 4 Travel Advisory. Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH) is Level 3: Reconsider Travel.
Reconsider travel to Bosnia-Herzegovina due to COVID-19. Exercise increased caution due to terrorism and land mines.
Read the Department of State’s COVID-19 page before you plan any international travel.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Travel Health Notice for Bosnia and Herzegovina due to COVID-19.
Bosnia and Herzegovina has resumed most transportation options, (including airport operations and re-opening of borders) and business operations (including day cares and schools). Other improved conditions have been reported within Bosnia and Herzegovina. Visit the Embassy’s COVID-19 page for more information on COVID-19 in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Terrorist groups continue plotting possible attacks in Bosnia-Herzegovina. Terrorists may attack with little or no warning, targeting tourist locations, transportation hubs, markets/shopping malls, local government facilities, hotels, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, parks, major sporting and cultural events, educational institutions, airports, and other public areas.
Minefields and land mines are present throughout Bosnia-Herzegovina. While suspected hazardous areas are normally clearly marked, several people are killed or injured each year.
Read the country information page.
If you decide to travel to Bosnia-Herzegovina:
- See the U.S. Embassy’s web page regarding COVID-19.
- Visit the CDC’s webpage on Travel and COVID-19.
- Be aware of your surroundings when traveling to tourist locations and crowded public venues.
- Monitor local media for breaking events and adjust your plans based on new information.
- Remain on hard-surfaced roads and stay out of abandoned buildings due to risks from land mines.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Bosnia-Herzegovina.
- Have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
Last Update: Reissued with updates to COVID-19 information.