On this page you will find resources for investing and starting a business in the U.S.
SelectUSA is the U.S. Federal Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) Promotion Agency and is linked to the U.S. states, cities, counties, and regions FDI Promotion Agencies. Companies requesting information about investing, expanding, or leaving the United States market should contact SelectUSA’s website. The SelectUSA’s website contains the following information:
- Summaries and links to federal programs, incentives, resources, and tools relevant to business start-up and operation in the United States.
- Background facts and figures on business investment in general, and the role of investment in the U.S. economy.
- Schedule of recent and upcoming SelectUSA outreach events.
- Links to investment guides.
- Individual U.S. state information, such as links to state Economic Development websites.
- Additional relevant private and public sector contacts, including links to various industry associations, government agencies, and chambers of commerce.
The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA)
The SBA’s website provides information on starting and managing a small to medium size business (SME) in the U.S. Among other important topics to SMEs, the website provides information on legal, taxation, licensing, and funding issues in the U.S.
Information on U.S. firms looking for foreign partners:
Export USA website
Generalized System of Preferences (GSP) program extended
BiH is a beneficiary country under this special program, which is designed to promote economic growth by providing preferential duty-free entry to the United States for up to 5,000 products from 122 designated beneficiary countries.
The United States is committed to helping BiH to grow its economy and to create new jobs. The GSP program provides products from BiH with a cost advantage of between two and 12 percent over competing products from non-GSP countries. It also offers an incentive for investors to produce in BiH and export their products to the United States. The GSP program will contribute to the development of new trade opportunities for BiH companies and ultimately lead to increased exports from BiH to the United States.
Between 2010 and 2014, BiH exported to the U.S. over $22 million worth of goods eligible for the GSP program. In 2014 alone, GSP-eligible exports from BiH to the United States increased by 40% from the previous year. According to U.S. Department of Commerce foreign trade data, total BiH exports to the U.S. in 2014 totaled $84 million, an increase of 45% compared to the previous year.
For additional BiH-specific information on the program, including how to determine if a product is eligible for duty-free treatment under GSP, please see the attached presentation (PDF 5.1 MB).