On this page you will find resources for investing and starting a business in the U.S.
SelectUSA is the U.S. Federal Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) Promotion Agency and is linked to the U.S. states, cities, counties, and regions FDI Promotion Agencies. Companies requesting information about investing, expanding, or leaving the United States market should contact SelectUSA’s website. The SelectUSA’s website contains the following information:
- Summaries and links to federal programs, incentives, resources, and tools relevant to business start-up and operation in the United States.
- Background facts and figures on business investment in general, and the role of investment in the U.S. economy.
- Schedule of recent and upcoming SelectUSA outreach events.
- Links to investment guides.
- Individual U.S. state information, such as links to state Economic Development websites.
- Additional relevant private and public sector contacts, including links to various industry associations, government agencies, and chambers of commerce.
The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA)
The SBA’s website provides information on starting and managing a small to medium size business (SME) in the U.S. Among other important topics to SMEs, the website provides information on legal, taxation, licensing, and funding issues in the U.S.
Generalized System of Preferences (GSP) program extended for BiH
Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH) has been designated as a beneficiary country under the United States Generalized System of Preferences (GSP) program, under which more than 3,400 products are eligible for duty-free entry to the United States. On March 23, 2018, President Trump signed legislation reauthorizing the Generalized System of Preferences (GSP) program through December 31, 2020. Between 2013 and 2017, BiH exported to the U.S. over $42 million worth of goods eligible for the GSP program. Just in 2018, BiH exported $25.5 million of goods under the GSP program where exports under the GSP accounted for 25% of Bosnia and Herzegovina’s exports to the U.S.
The United States is committed to helping BiH to grow its economy and to create new jobs. The GSP program provides products from BiH with a cost advantage of between two and 12 percent over competing products from non-GSP countries. It also offers an incentive for investors to produce in BiH and export their products to the United States. The GSP program will contribute to the development of new trade opportunities for BiH companies and ultimately lead to increased exports from BiH to the United States.
For additional BiH-specific information on the program, including how to determine if a product is eligible for duty-free treatment under GSP, please see the presentation (PPTX 6,485KB). For more general information on the GSP program, please see the guidebook (PDF 432KB).