The OPEN Program offers foreign English teaching professionals the opportunity to take innovative, online university-level classes in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL).
There are nine global courses available for the Winter 2023 Term
- Teaching Grammar Communicatively (TGC)
- Integrating Critical Thinking Skills into Exploration of Culture (ICT)
- Using Educational Technology in the English Language Classroom (ET)
- Developing and Teaching Academic Writing (DATAW)
- Teaching English to Young Learners (TEYL)
- Professional Development for Teacher Trainers (PDTT)
- Creating and Implementing Online Courses (CIOC)
- TESOL Methodology (TM)
- Fostering Student Motivation and Engagement (FSME)
For more information on these opportunities, please see the Application Process section below.
- This is an online, non-degree program.
- Participants who successfully complete the program will receive a certificate of completion and become official ECA International Exchange Alumni.
- The program lasts for eight weeks.
- Winter term 2023 program dates are January 10, 2023 – March 6, 2023. The orientation will be accessible from December 5, 2022 – December 30, 2022.
- Applications for the Winter 2023 term are due on October 30, 2022, at 11:59pm local time. (See the application form below.)
- Be a citizen of and reside in the nominating country (Bosnia and Herzegovina) at the time of the course
- Not hold dual citizenship in the United States
- Have basic technology skills related to creating usernames and passwords, using credentials to log in to secured websites, using email, searching the internet, and accessing and managing electronic files
- Have the ability to complete academic work at a U.S. university level (an advanced level of reading and writing in English, roughly equivalent to CEFR B2)
- Have at least 8-10 hours per week available to complete coursework
- Have regular access to a reliable, internet-enabled device
- Have the ability to type in English well enough to participate in online discussions and submit written assignments in a timely manner
- Be highly motivated English language professionals such as teachers, teacher trainers, or ministry officials who are dedicated to their own professional development and willing to share their knowledge with colleagues
- Be highly committed to completing the course
- Have an understanding of English technical terms relating to computers and the Internet
- Have regular access (4-5 times/week) to a reliable, up-to-date computer with high-speed internet connectivity
Interested applicants must apply to the U.S. Embassy in Bosnia and Herzegovina using the application forms available for download (DOCX 168 KB).
Candidates must email their completed applications to email@example.com with the subject line “Candidate Last, First Name 2023 Winter Term OPEN Program”.
Applications must be received by 11:59 p.m. local time on October 30, 2022.
For more program information, please visit the OPEN program website.
For questions about this program or the application process, please e-mail the exchange program coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org. When emailing, use the subject line: “2023 Winter Term OPEN Program.”