The OPEN Program offers foreign English teaching professionals the opportunity to take innovative, online university-level classes in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL).
There are ten global courses available for the Winter 2024 Term
- Teaching Grammar Communicatively (TGC)
- Integrating Critical Thinking Skills into Exploration of Culture (ICT)
- Using Educational Technology in the English Language Classroom (ET)
- Developing and Teaching Academic Writing (DATAW)
- Teaching English to Young Learners (TEYL)
- Professional Development for Teacher Trainers (PDTT)
- Creating and Implementing Online Courses (CIOC)
- TESOL Methodology (TM)
- Fostering Student Motivation and Engagement (FSME)
- Teaching for the Future: English Teaching to Take on Climate Change (TFF)
You can see descriptions of each course here.
For more information on these opportunities, please see the Application Process section below.
- This is an online, non-degree program.
- Participants who successfully complete the program will receive a certificate of completion and become official ECA International Exchange Alumni.
- The program lasts for eight weeks.
- Winter term 2024 program dates are January 9, 2024 – March 4, 2024.
- The orientation will be accessible from December 4, 2023 – December 29, 2023.
- Applications for the Winter 2024 term are due on October 20, 2023, at 11:59pm local time. (See the application form below.)
- Be a citizen of and reside in the nominating country (Bosnia and Herzegovina) at the time of the course
- Not hold dual citizenship in the United States
- Have basic technology skills related to creating usernames and passwords, using credentials to log in to secured websites, using email, searching the internet, and accessing and managing electronic files
- Have the ability to complete academic work at a U.S. university level (an advanced level of reading and writing in English, roughly equivalent to CEFR B2)
- Have at least 8-10 hours per week available to complete coursework
- Have the ability to type in English well enough to participate in online discussions and submit written assignments in a timely manner
- Be highly motivated English language professionals such as teachers, teacher trainers, or ministry officials who are dedicated to their own professional development and willing to share their knowledge with colleagues
- Be highly committed to completing the course
- Have an understanding of English technical terms relating to computers and the Internet
- Have regular access (4-5 times/week) to a reliable, up-to-date computer with high-speed internet connectivity
Interested applicants must apply to the U.S. Embassy in Bosnia and Herzegovina using the application forms available for download.
Candidates must email their completed applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Candidate Last, First Name 2023 Winter term OPEN Program”.
Applications must be received by 11:59 p.m. local time on October 20, 2023.
For more program information, please visit the OPEN program website.
For questions about this program or the application process, please e-mail the exchange program coordinator at email@example.com. When emailing, use the subject line: “2023 Winter Term OPEN Program.”