Location: The Pride March route will be on Marshall Tito Street, starting at noon from the Eternal Flame and concluding at the Parliament square. Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Event: The inaugural Pride March in Bosnia and Herzegovina will take place Sunday, September 8 starting at noon. Other related demonstrations are scheduled, one on Saturday, September 7 (from 1300-1500), along the same route as the march and another on Sunday morning before the march. The Sarajevo Canton will close several streets in the area and we anticipate a significant security presence during the event. Please expect traffic closures and other transportation disruptions on both Saturday and Sunday.
We remind everyone that even demonstrations and events intended to be peaceful can become violent and unpredictable.
Actions to Take:
- Review the Department of State’s LGBTI Travelers information in our Bosnia Country Specific Information
- Inform your colleagues and family about your plans and how to reach you.
- Remain cognizant of the demonstration locations and routes.
- Exercise caution when in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
- Remain alert throughout Sarajevo during the weekend.
Additionally the event organizers have provided the following advice to march participants:
- Please do not wear any recognizable LGBTIQ symbols until after you have entered the secured area. Keep any such items stored in your backpacks or opaque bags. LGBTIQ flags will be available at the entrance.
- Do not tell strangers (e.g. taxi drivers) where you are going. If you are arriving from other parts of BiH or from neighboring countries, we recommend that you avoid asking passers-by for directions.
- Avoid using public transportation on the day of the march and do not arrive alone.
- After the Pride March, we recommend that you go home or to another safe space, and to avoid moving about the city during the day.
- Avoid Baščaršija and the Old Town neighborhoods, as well as neighborhoods Koševo, Grbavica, and Ilidža, large shopping malls (BBI, SCC, Alta, Skenderija, Importanne), other places where you might expect larger crowds, and religious sites.
- U.S. Embassy Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
+(387) 33 704 000, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
+(387) 33 704 000 (after-hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Bosnia Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.