An official website of the United States government

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)
Birth of U.S. Citizens Abroad

Start Here

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

A child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents may acquire U.S. citizenship at birth if certain statutory requirements are met. If it is determined that the child acquired U.S. citizenship at birth the Department of State will issue a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), also called a Form FS-240, in the child’s name. According to U.S. law, a CRBA is proof of U.S. citizenship and may be used to obtain a U.S. passport, among other purposes.

Where to Apply: To apply, your child must have been born in Bosnia and Herzegovina and you must first complete the online application and payment and then we will schedule an appointment for you at U.S. Embassy Sarajevo for the in-person interview.

How to Apply

All CRBA applications are filed electronically prior to a in-person interview at U.S. Embassy Sarajevo.  U.S. citizen parents complete a CRBA application online, upload all required documents, and submit payment prior to the in-person interview.

  1. To apply for a CRBA online, you need to create a MyTravelGov account. MyTravelGov is a secured, encrypted portal. Watch this video to learn more about creating your account.
  2. Once you have created a MyTravelGov account you can access eCRBA and submit your application online. The easy-to-use online process provides applicants with step-by-step instructions on how to complete the application.
  3. Once you complete the online application and submit payment, you should then email US. Embassy Sarajevo at SarajevoACS@state.gov. Please subject your email as “CRBA request” followed by the name and surname of the child.
  4. Both parents, if available, and the child CRBA applicant must schedule the in-person interview with the original documents. Embassy staff will return the original documents to you after reviewing your application. You must bring the international version of the birth and marriage certificate.  The child must be present at the time of application.  Generally, both parents also attend the interview, but if only one is appearing, please specify that when you email the Embassy.

When to Apply: Parents of a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen or citizens should apply for a CRBA as soon as possible. Failure to promptly document a child who meets the statutory requirements for acquiring U.S. citizenship at birth may make it more difficult to establish the child’s U.S. citizenship. CRBA applications must be made before the child’s eighteenth (18th) birthday.

The Interview: On the day of the CRBA appointment, the child and at least one parent must appear. This can be either the transmitting U.S. citizen parent or a non-citizen parent, though having both parents present is preferred. In many cases, the approval for the CRBA can occur during the course of that interview and the parent(s) may wish to then apply for a U.S. passport for the child at the same time that they apply for a CRBA. Both parents must be present or the absent parent must give written consent to apply for the U.S. passport.

Requirements for the Interview: In order to apply for a CRBA please upload following and bring the originals to the interview:

  • A completed online Consular Report of Birth Abroad application;
  • The international version of the child’s foreign birth certificate;
  • The proof of citizenship for each parent;
    • For the transmitting U.S. citizen parent(s), the preferred form is a U.S. passport.
    • For non-U.S. citizen parents, their foreign passport is preferred.
  • Proof of sufficient physical presence in the United States by the transmitting parent;
  • The international version of the Marriage certificate, if the transmitting U.S. citizen parent is married;
    • If either parent was previously married, a copy of the divorce decree or other document;
  • The fee for this service is $100.00 (payable in U.S. dollars, KM, or by credit card).

Please note: the consular officer may ask for additional documents at the time of application.

For each application, you are required to upload clear scans of all the documents you will be submitting with the application (applicant’s/parents’ passports or IDs, birth and marriage certificates, etc.)

Need Help?

Other Important Information

Passport applications and Social Security Card applications must be completed and submitted separately.

Please note that an application for a Social Security Number can only be submitted after receiving the original Consular Report of Birth Abroad and Passport.  To obtain a Social Security Number for your child, see further details at https://ba.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/social-security/

To apply for the child’s first passport: Additional documents required for a U.S. passport are listed below.

  • A completed Application for a U.S. Passport (form DS-11).
  • One passport photo (must be 2″ X 2″ (5 cm X 5 cm) with a white background.
    • Photo must be from within the last 6 months; a full front view; no glasses allowed.
  • $135.00 fee (payable in U.S. dollars, KM, or by credit card).