Birth of U.S. Citizens Abroad

A child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents may acquire U.S. citizenship at birth if certain statutory requirements are met. If it is determined that the child acquired U.S. citizenship at birth the Department of State will issue a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), also called a Form FS-240, in the child’s name. According to U.S. law, a CRBA is proof of U.S. citizenship and may be used to obtain a U.S. passport, among other purposes.

Where to Apply: The child’s parents should contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate to apply for a CRBA to document that the child is a U.S. citizen. You may apply for a CRBA at any overseas U.S. embassy or consulate, but the CRBA will only be processed at the U.S. embassy or consulate in the country of the child’s birth.

When to Apply: Parents of a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen or citizens should apply for a CRBA as soon as possible. Failure to promptly document a child who meets the statutory requirements for acquiring U.S. citizenship at birth may make it more difficult to establish the child’s U.S. citizenship. CRBA applications must be made before the child’s eighteenth (18th) birthday.

Appointment Scheduling: The first step is to schedule an interview with a U.S. Consular Officer. This can be done from the link on our webpage (to the right).

The Interview: On the day of the CRBA appointment, the child and at least one parent must appear. This can be either the transmitting U.S. citizen parent or a non-citizen parent, though having both parents present is preferred. In many cases, the approval for the CRBA can occur during the course of that interview and the parent(s) may wish to then apply for a U.S. passport for the child at the same time that they apply for a CRBA. Both parents must be present to apply for the U.S. passport.

Requirements for the Interview: In order to apply for a CRBA please submit the following:

  • A completed Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad form DS-2029;
  • The international version of the child’s foreign birth certificate;
  • The proof of citizenship for each parent;
    • For the transmitting U.S. citizen parent(s), the preferred form is a U.S. passport.
    • For non-U.S. citizen parents, their foreign passport is preferred.
  • Proof of sufficient physical presence in the United States by the transmitting parent;
  • The international version of the Marriage certificate, if the transmitting U.S. citizen parent is married;
    • If either parent was previously married, a copy of the divorce decree or other document;
  • The fee for this service is $100.00 (payable in U.S. dollars, KM, or by credit card).

Please note: the consular officer may ask for additional documents at the time of application.

For each application, you are required to bring clear photocopies of all the documents you will be submitting with the application (applicant’s/parents’ passports or IDs, birth and marriage certificates, etc.)

To apply for the child’s first passport: Additional documents required for a U.S. passport are listed below.

  • A completed Application for a U.S. Passport (form DS-11).
  • One passport photo (must be 2″ X 2″ (5 cm X 5 cm) with a white background.
    • Photo must be from within the last 6 months; a full front view; no glasses allowed.
  • $135.00 fee (payable in U.S. dollars, KM, or by credit card).