Internal Revenue Service (U.S. Taxes)

U.S. Tax Information for U.S. Citizens Overseas

Tax information, forms, and instructions are easily available online.  The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) does not have an office in Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH) and the U.S. Embassy cannot provide tax advice.  Links to further tax-filing guidance for U.S. taxpayers living abroad are available on the Federal Benefits and Obligations website.

Who Must File?

U.S. citizens and resident aliens generally must file a U.S. individual income tax return, even if they permanently live outside the United States and may not owe any tax because of income exclusion or tax credits. Your income, filing status, and age generally determine whether you must file an income tax return. Publication 54, Tax Guide for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad contains more information on filing (IRS website: Forms, Instructions & Publications).

Contacting the IRS

The IRS Call Center is open Monday through Friday, from 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time).

Phone: 267-941-1000 (not toll-free)
Fax: 267-941-1055

Downloadable forms, publications, and answers to your federal tax questions can be found at  IRS website: Forms, Instructions & Publications.  The website contains a wide variety of topics, including information for international and military taxpayers.